Let me just start in saying that I do not clam to be expert in this area.
There are many things that effect ranking of website on the internet and there is not just one definite answer to getting to the top of Google, Yahoo, Msn
But there are quite a few things that we can do for you to improve your ranking of your site.
- Create unique, accurate page titles e.g.
- Make use of the “description” meta tag e.g. http://searchenginewatch.com/2167931
- Improve the structure of your URLs, again back to the structure as above http://domain.ie/service/manage_services
- Make your site easier to navigate, this is all about usability having links where people can see it.
- Offer quality content and services, clear and consist details with text but not to much.
- Write better anchor text e.g. Click Here is not as good at here is more information on managed service
- Use heading tags appropriately. Title seen at top of browser of page should be relevent Logmein | quicktips.ie
- Join relative social networks Twitter, Facebook
Getting bit more complicated
- Optimize your use of images use alt=”image name” on all images.
- Make effective use of robots.txt this is used before google, yahoo go near your site. http://quicktips.ie/robots.txt
- Be aware of rel=”nofollow” for links
- Promote your website in the right ways, better linking to your site and putting your site out there.
- Make use of free webmaster tools, sign up for Webmaster tools and use them
- Take advantage of web analytics services
- Keep content up to date, update your site, bog regularly
- Add site to open directories to increase possibility of linking.